Monday, January 5, 2009

I was invited to attend a fireside tonight by a good friend. The fireside was about homosexuality and same gender attraction amongst members of the LDS church. I went to support and to learn more because (for those of you who know me at all) I have a lot friends who practice this lifestyle. The speaker was Ty Mansfield, a Deseret Book-published author on the topic.

The presentation left me wanting. I felt like he dodged the greater issue and focused entirely on the premortal life and what we were like there. It was packed with this deep doctrine and, I felt, left the greater portion of the audience behind in the dust.

But I am so glad I went. So glad. For a plethera of reasons:

1) I got to spend time with this friend, who I honestly love and cherish.
2) I saw another one of my friends and it was so renewing to hug him, laugh, and catch up.
3) I got to see how much love filled up this little room. And I'm not just talking about the couples there. People were so kind and friendly. If someone needed to scoot behind you, he/she would wrap their arms around you and humbly apologize for the inconvenience while making a path.
4) I saw parents with their son, who I am assuming is struggling with these issues. It just warmed my heart to see parent support or interest; no judging.
5) Good refreshments.
6) It always makes me happy to see two people who have found each other. Always.
7) It reminded me that everyone has trials and struggles. It makes my heart sing to see people united in a cause; tonight in the search of hope and strength.
8) Mingling afterward. No, it was not a place for homosexuals to meet and hook up; the people there were talking, eating, discussing real issues, looking for advice, encouragement, and understanding.
9) I saw an old student of mine from Orem High. At first, I was mortified at the awkwardness. Do I say hi? Will he think I'm gay? Will he feel embarrassed? ALL of those feelings went away when my friend (number 1) encouraged me to talk to him. He was so glad to see me! He gave me a hug and said, "I can't believe you still remember me!" and we talked genuinely for longer than we ever had in the 6 months I was his teacher.
10) Number 1 sneaking me away from the group to a secluded little room, just so we could sing together one time before I drove home.

Tonight was really really wonderful. It's interesting that the overall lecture was not motivating or satisfying for me; it's what happened all around the speaker that enriched me.

1 comment:

ABick said...

that is very cool. and surprising. i'm glad it was such a good experience for you hon. :D