Friday, January 2, 2009

Airport Romance

This poem needs a bit of an intro. I have pictures I want to post as well to clarify this poem's purpose, but I need to figure out how do upload pictures from my phone onto this blog. I was sitting in the airport and this man caught my eye, dumping out a bunch of Scrabble tiles on the floor as we were waiting for our plane to arrive.


Carpet the canvas
For his overdue confession.
He is bursting with determination
As his container of word possibility empties over the naked floor.
Endless options persuade his crusader fingertips
To write what he failed to proclaim
When the moment was asking.

He searched for the letters staring him in the eye.
He had the message clear in mind.
Exchanging this tile for that one,
Ignoring the spelling rules he was breaking.
(No purpose in that.)
And sent her the cellular picture
With the phone that had participated in so many of their conversations.

An invitation for me to soak up romance’s simplicity.
There were no roses.
No stamped envelopes.
No regurgitated dinners.

Just the unscrambled letters,
“I dremed about you evere night”

3 comments:

Marla said...

I want to see pics of this!!!!!

Lisa B. said...

>>"I dremed about you evere night”

I like how the spelling makes this seem almost Chaucerian.

ABick said...

that is so sweet...
it really is love at it's finest--as cheesy as that sounds...
i do want to see this picture.